This week on the podcast, I am joined by Canadian hunter Steve Ecklund. You may recognize Steve from his hunting show The Edge. Steve is a super down to earth guy that comes from humble beginnings, and I had a great time hearing some of his crazy stories. We talk a lot about what makes a successful hunter, and the mental toughness required to be a successful backcountry hunter. As a cancer surviver, who is one hunt away from completing his sheep slam, I would say Steve knows a thing or two about mental toughness.
FREE Window Decal– Show your support for the podcast with one of the new Podcast Decals. Just click here and tell us where to send it to. We have sent stickers all over the world! Get yours today.
- Cutting your teeth in hunting (4:35)
- Getting into archery hunting (7:10)
- Your bow should be an extension of your hand (8:30)
- Making the shot happen (11:20)
- The mental game of Hunting (13:00)
- What is a true adventure (23:40)
- Hunters need to band together (32:30)
- What advice would you give yourself when you were starting out (43:55)
- Whats your most valuable piece outside your weapon system (46:35)
- Favorite species to hunt (52:30)
- Mountain hunts are a marathon not a sprint (55:30)
- Mental toughness (57:00)
- Desert Sheep and Mule Deer Hunt (1:06:30)
This episode is brought to you by Greenbelly Meals. Greenbelly Meals are a true meal replacement bar. Chris Cage the founder, designed these bars to be 650 calories and 33% of your daily nutrition for 6 core nutrients. I have been using Greenbelly meals for the last two season now and I absolutely love them. They make a great option for a lunch or mid day meal and with two bars per resealable pack I can divide them up during the day. The best part is, they are actually really delicious. Greenbelly bars come in three different flavors and I honestly like all three, I just order the 30 bar variety pack. These bars are one of the best options for quick, easy, light weight backcountry meals that I have ever come across, so check them out. To get more information and to order some for your next hunt, just go to therichoutdoors.net/greenbelly.